The Play framework is the most fun I’ve had developing Java web applications. It’s fast, natural, comes with a rails-like scaffolding for CRUD operations on your model, has built-in Selenium testing as well as unit and functional tests, and most importantly Just Works.
- Get yourself a GAE account and set up an application. you will need the ID.
- Download a recent nightly of the stable 1.0 branch (1.0 final doesn’t work with GAE, and Play needs to sort out its versioning system here)
- Download the GAE SDK for Java
- Create your app (although use Siena rather than JPA if you want to persist to the GAE data store) and configure it to use the GAE module
- Add your GAE application ID to myapp/war/WEB-INF/appengine-web.xml
Deploy to a local dev GAE environment
- run play war myappname -o myappname-war
- run APPENGINE_SDK_DIR/bin/dev_appserver myappname-war
Deploy to the GAE server
- run play war myappname -o ../myappname-war
- run APPENGINE_SDK_DIR/bin/appcfg update myappname-war/
- log in to your app engine console and check out your application!