I work in Higher Education in the UK.
Every day I see enterprisey systems which are awful, terrible, unfriendly, unusable, behemoths.
The market for each niche system is more or less a monopoly.
The market is prime for smaller, more agile, more user-friendly systems to come in and destroy them.
Please, somebody just kill off these dinosaurs.
What we’re trying to do at work:
- test-driven development
- pair programming
- implementation docs on the wiki
- code coverage stats (with cobertura) regularly generated via…
- continuous integration (at the moment with CruiseControl, soon to move to Bamboo)
- rapid software iterations (we suck at this right now)
- totally transparent group activity
I think we’re doing quite well on these things, but I wonder if it looks different from the outside?